POW – Prisoner of Words
A discussion based on Alicia Key’s song Prisoner of Words ( by Bobby Thejus)
POW Youtube Video
I’m a prisoner/ Of words unsaid/Just lonely feelings/Locked away in my head/I trap myself further/Every time I stay quiet/I should start to speak/But I stop and stay silent/And now I’ve made/My own hard bed/Inside a prison of words unsaid/I am a P.O.W./ Not a prisoner of war/ A prisoner of words /Like a soldier/I’m a fighter/Yet only a puppet/Mostly I only say/What you wanna hear/Could you take it if I came clear?/Or would you rather see me/Stoned on a drug of complacency and compromise/ M.I.A./ I guess that’s what I am/ Scraping this cold earth/For a piece of myself/For peace in myself
It’d be easier if you put me in jail/ If you locked me away /I’d have someone to blame /But these bars of steel are of my making /They surround my mind /And have me shaking /My hands are cuffed behind my back /I’m a prisoner of the worst kind, in fact /A prisoner of compromise / A prisoner of compassion / A prisoner of kindness / A prisoner of expectation /A prisoner of my youth /Run too fast to be old / I’ve forgotten what I was told /Ain’t I a sight to behold? /A prisoner of age dying to be young/ To my head is my hand with a gun /And it’s cold and it’s hard /Cause there’s nowhere to run/ When you’ve caged yourself/By holding your tongue
I’m a prisoner /Of words unsaid/ Just lonely feelings/ Locked away in my head/ It’s like solitary confinement/Every time I stay quiet/I should start to speak /But I stop and stay silent/ And now I’ve made / My own hard bed /Inside a prison of words unsaid
- In what circumstance or situations have you regretted or have been proud that you have expressed yourself? How did you feel? How did others react?
- Do you feel like a puppet when you speak what others want or expect you to say? For what reasons have you stayed silent or spoken up? Or were you MIA (Missing in Action) – reticent?
- Is there a difference in being a prisoner of compassion and a prisoner of compromise? If yes what is the difference? If no, why is there no difference?
- Have you been in a situation in which you were so lonely that you couldn’t speak to anyone? Has that resulted in feeling frustrated and caged?
- What are the arenas in which you can be open about your thoughts? Are you willing to make yourself vulnerable? How has it helped?
Please do visit Bobby blog: bobbythejus.wordpress.com